When it comes to creating sites that ultimately sell for a nice profit, it’s always Mushfiq Sarker of The Website Flip. Because that’s literally what he’s been doing for many years – building and selling sites.
In the first Expert Picks edition of 2023, Mushfiq selected four Odys domains in the Nutrition, Outdoors, Food, and Finance niches and provided his growth blueprints for each of them.
This domain had previously hosted a website of a program doing somatotype calculations and analysis. Considering the popularity of weight-loss and diet programs, this domain could be repurposed as an authority site about body types and body shape calculators, which have a lot of search traffic potential.
Here is what I would do:
- Publish content around keywords related to the word “Somatotype” such as definitions and explanations. Having a one-word domain name with .org will give the site credibility and attract links.
- Create body type and body shape quizzes and calculators.
- Publish content related to the different somatotypes such as ectomorph, mesomorph, and endomorph.
- Publish content about the body type of celebrities which is a popular topic with low competition (e.g., “endomorph male celebrities” has a KD of 5 and volume of 500).
- Publish buying guides for products for a specific body type (e.g., “best swimsuits for ectomorphs”).
This site can be monetized via advertising and sponsored content, such as reviews of weight-loss programs and marathons. There can also be guides for different body types, such as ectomorphs, mesomorphs, and endomorphs. Aside from that, there are numerous weight-loss affiliate programs that pay 10% to 30% on the average sale, which is about $100, so there are plenty of monetization opportunities in this niche.
The domain was previously owned by a pioneering action camera company named Go Bandit, which offered products and services to extreme sports enthusiasts. It is estimated that the global action camera market is expected to reach over $4.73 billion by 2030 due to the rise of disposable income and increased participation in recreational, sports, and adventure activities. Thus, this domain provides an excellent opportunity to grow an authority website in this niche.
Here is what I would do:
- Publish content about action camera accessories that have unusually low keyword difficulty and high volume (e.g., “action camera flashlight” has a KD of 2 and volume of 184K).
- Publish content targeting low-competition keywords related to “action camera”. AHREFs show 953 matching keywords with KD of 0-10 with 982K total volume.
- Publish content targeting low-competition keywords related to “Go Pro”. AHREFs show 1,398 matching keywords with KD of 0-10 with 169K total volume.
- Publish buying guides on “Best action cameras for X” (for types of people, types of activities, etc.).
- Publish comparisons on Go Pro vs alternative brands (e.g., “insta 360 vs go pro” has KD of 0 and volume of 350).
- Create a content silo about the related topic of drone photography for outdoor activities and adventure sports.
The site can be monetized by displaying advertisements and providing product reviews about the Best Sports & Action Video Cameras/Outdoor Gadgets. Popular brands paying decent commissions include GoPro, OlfiCamera, and Akasotech, but you can also look for niche-specific cameras like those for snowboarding, rock climbing, etc.
The keto diet is one of the most popular diets in the world and there is a large market of products built around it.
Here’s what I would do:
- Recreate recipe articles that have multiple links or high authority links (e.g., chocolate fat bombs have 14 referring domains).
- The domain name is an homage to the quote in Mean Girls: “Is butter a carb?”. Publish answers to questions like “Is X a carb” and “Is X keto?”.
- Publish content combining keto with a popular brand (e.g., “Keto at Sonic” has a KD of 6 and a volume of 800).
- Review keto foods and products (e.g., “keto bread at Walmart” has a KD of 8 and a volume of 600).
Monetization could include display ads as well as several types of affiliate products like meal subscriptions, keto food and ingredients, and info products. Some examples include Magic Spoon (20% commission), Miracle Noodle (20%), and KetoKrate (15% commission).
The finance niche is one of the most lucrative niches for content sites. Successful sites in this niche can earn four or five figures a month without a ton of traffic.
The history and domain name make this domain a good candidate for creating an informational site covering the news and trends in financial social media. It could also provide useful guides on the top social media platforms for investing, investing scams to avoid, and what people should know about popular finance influencers.
Here’s what I would do:
- Create listicles of the top people to follow on popular social media platforms.
- Create biographical articles about top finance social media influencers.
- Publish articles about popular trends or topics in financial social media (e.g., meme stocks like GameStop).
- Publish helpful guides on how to use platforms like Reddit and how to avoid investment scams on social media.
- Consider building leaderboards to track statistics of top finance social media accounts (e.g., top finance influencers on Twitter).
Monetization would include display ads and financial affiliate programs which can be very lucrative.
An example is Binance which offers up to 50% commissions on every qualified trade. SoFi offers $100 per credit card signup and the commission increases to $200 after 100 signups. Robinhood offers a $20 commission for each funded new account.
Patience and Constant Work
While there are cases of sites starting to generate huge traffic almost instantly, it’s work and patience 90% of the time. No matter the means you decide to choose to monetize your site built on an aged domain, you have to fill it with content and be strategically accurate in its placement. Rome wasn’t built in a day, but it ultimately sprung one of the greatest empires the world has ever known.
By the way, we’ve got over 900 aged domains in more than 50 niches: Odys Marketplace.